Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pensacola Beach Run

January 15, 2011
About the race:
Out and back along Pensacola Beach. What it lacks in variety, it makes up for with scenery. There are portions where you can see water on both sides. What sets this race apart from other races is that you don't have to pick a distance. They just record the farthest timing mat you cross, and that's what you get scored for. 5k, 10, or half marathon.

As great as the race was, first all the stuff it was NOT:
...not a challenge to find my inner warrior and dig deeper than I ever have.
...not a break through performance.
...not a day when I was the best athlete that showed up.
...not a glamorous race venue.

All that being said, it was near the top, if not the most satisfying race to date. Started off like any other race. Felt far too easy, and there were probably 20 people well ahead of me. Mile one was 6:05 to the second. I pumped my fist and loudly showed my excitement. I wanted to brag, and I knew Steve was in range to hear me. Before the race he asked what my pace was going to be, and I told him 6:05.

Shortly after mile 1, the 5k runners turned left and were quickly out of sight. I was too far back to know how many people turned. What I did know is that there was more people than I could accurately count in front of me. One by one I passed just a few people, including "Awkward Running Guy" in his white McGuires cotton t-shirt and sweat flinging off his face as it sharply turned from side to side. He has been a staple in many races since last year at Double Bridge Run when I thought he was injured. Unlike the Pensacola half marathon, he was not carrying his shirt in one hand while leading the race at mile 3.

The thought of position did not cross my mind until I saw the turn around, and only one person turned. He was about 150m ahead. Up until now I ran exactly in the range that I planned. 6:05, 6:03, and 6:01. I don't remember looking at my watch at all for the next mile. My goal was to catch that dude, then figure out what to do from there. It was really close to the 4 mile marker when I did catch him, because I remember pointing it out to him. Garmin read 5:45. I pulled ahead by a few feet and asked if he was going to run sub 6:00 for the last 2 miles. He didn't reply, so I slowed down to get closer and asked again. He nodded and said yes. For whatever reason, I was happy to have company, and not at all worried about coming in 2nd vs 1st. However, his next mile was at least a 6:10, because I ran it in 6:02 and created a sizable gap. Well, nothing left but to push the last mile... alone. 5:58 according to Garmin, and it felt good. The rush from being in first place, even if it wasn't the half marathon, was cool.

In the chute I saw 2 coworkers that did the 5k. I was completely rude and didn't even ask how they did. Then a strange girl came up to me and said she was Tristan. When I look as confused as possible she said she was Steve's girlfriend. Oh, nice to meet you, I'm leaving now for a cool-down. Another totally rude move.

My plan was to jog out and run the last part of the half marathon in with Steve. Not once did I do the math that told me after my 6 miles, he still had 7 miles to go. I made my way to the 1 mile marker (mile 12), and he must of been around mile 8. After waiting for 15 minutes the first half marathon guy went by, and another few minutes until I saw Steve in 4th place. He crossed the 1 mile marker in 1:15:30. This was my first indicator to how his race was going. Out loud I said "if we bring in the last mile in 6:30, you are sub 1:22:00!" He seemed good with this, so we dialed in the pace and knocked it out. He seemed happy with the result, and why not, a 1:21:58 is great. On most days I'd trade a 1:22 half for a 37:37 10k, but today it meant I got a BOTTLE OPENER for winning!

No comments: