Thursday, December 18, 2008

Training Plans

This week I'm going though my training plan debate. Usually I go through it once every month or two. This time I even posted about it on the TriFuel forums. The replies gave very good input, but it's an impossible question to answer.

It seems like we have the Mark Allen / Phil Maffetone approach in one corner. It preaches that going at a low heart rate for a long time will build a solid base, then over time your speed will get faster while keeping the same low HR. In the other corner, we have Endurance Nation / Michael Mccormack with the opposite approach. Instead of going long and slow in the off season, they tell us to work on short and fast sessions. This builds up speed, then you can increase endurance during the peak of the season.

For now, I need to avoid injuries, and have fun. When the day comes that I stop improving, I'll worry about what plan I'm using.

No comments: