Saturday, May 30, 2009

Grandman Race Report

Fairhope Grandman Triathlon Results

Prerace: 1 ensure and 1 banana at the house. Tested using glide and no sox for a .5 mile run at 5:30 pace. Rode 7 miles to the race and had one more endure with 4 Hammer Enduralytes.

Swim: Course description states 1/3 mile swim. It seemed like we walked the first 200m, swam 100m, then walked the last 200m. the fastest people did lots of dolphin dives, which I have no practice doing, but I still tried. Guessing I looked like an idiot doing random acts of a belly flop with a jumping jack motion. Finished 22/41 in age group. Not disappointing since I no longer practice swimming.

Bike: Start of the bike is up a slight incline for 25m or so, then up a steep hill. I never got rolling up the incline and had trouble putting my feet in the shoes. Eventually one shoe became unclipped before my foot was in it, so I had to circle around to go pick it up, unclip my other shoe, and do it all over. Only one person that passed me was in my age group. After looking at results, I see that I beat him out of T1, but I remember passing him first. Not long after, he passed me for good. My goal was to keep him in sight so I could pass him on the run, but he didn't stay in sight for long. Somewhere around mile 7 I lost sight of him. Surprised myself by averaging 20.8MPH and being 4th of 41 in age group. Surprised with both my speed, and that more people in my AG were not faster.

Run: Caught up to that guy in my AG that passed me on the bike after 3/4 mile, which made me feel a lot better. Splits were right on my goal. 6:38, 6:30, and 6:40 according to the Garmin. Managed to get 1st in age group for run with 20:08.

The results showed that I was 4th in my age group, and I left my raffle ticket at home. No reason to stick around, so I gathered my stuff and rode my bike 7 miles home feeling upset and promising to increase volume, consistancy, and intensity. The results posted now show I was 3rd in my age group. Guess I should of stuck around for my medal...

Overall: I counted almost 10 penalties in the results! That's surprising in a small sprint triathlon. The race officials were on the back of big Honda Goldwing trikes, which I must of seen 5+ times on the bike course.

Consumed 10 oz of Cytomax and no h20.

No comments: